Reporting to the Foreman, the Excavator Operator is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the construction excavator/hoe and to perform duties as assigned to ensuring the work completed is delivered according to contract specifications.
- Operate the Excavator and other heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Perform daily maintenance and safety checks of equipment.
- Conduct pre-operational checks on equipment, and clean, lubricate and refill equipment as necessary.
- Work with ground personnel in the excavation and installation process of laying pipe on line and grade.
- Ensure trench is excavated to the proper depth/grade.
- Responsible for placement of water, storm and sanitary sewer pipe in the excavation.
- Follow directions of ground crew regarding craning, gravel placement and grading.
- Cut grade with minimal time spent on excavating to ensure production is on schedule.
- Conduct trench work, which meets OH&S requirements.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
Qualifications & Experience
- High school or equivalent; with experience in related construction activities
- Valid Class 5 Operator’s License; with clean Driver Abstract
- Minimum 3 –5 years’ experience within the road construction and Water and Sewer experience
- 2 –3 years’ experience operating an Excavator is required
- Relevant Oilfield Certification /Safety tickets would be an asset
- Knowledge of road construction materials, road construction processes and industry requirements
- Valid Ground Disturbance certificate
- Possible out of town and weekend work on an as required basis